Tuesday 3 June 2014

"Mom my tooth is loose!"

One of the land marks in our children’s lives is the loss of their “baby “teeth. For the vast majority of kids this time of transition is uneventful. My own kids kept their loose teeth a secret from Dad because was I was also their dentist. I was always anxious to get their loose teeth out because if delayed too long the baby tooth can begin to effect the ideal eruption the adult teeth.  My counsel to parents is to be attentive. If your child complains of a” wiggly” tooth take look every once in a while and if the offending tooth seems to hanging on be thread a little tissue for grip and a twist (don’t pull!) does the trick! Maybe that is my children were so secretive!
 If you see a tooth that appears to be blocked by the yet to fall out baby tooth your child should see a dentist soon. Your dentist may suggest the extraction of the stubborn tooth right at the visit. With the appropriate "freezing" of course.  Some evaluation of whether there is adequate space to accommodate the future adult teeth is made at that time.
I used to get away with a quarter. What is the Tooth Fairy giving currently?

Cheers! Dr. Shawn Lee a Vernon Dentist

No comments:

Post a Comment